Thursday, April 2, 2009

I'm writing a WHAT?!

I'm writing a YA? I'm writing a YA. Umm.. I'm writing a YA! Yeah, okay, just trying it on for size. Once I figured out I was supposed to write fantasy, I kind of thought that would be the end of it. I wrote my romantic, soon - to - be epic, fantasy, then it was time for NaNoWriMo. I'd been toying with an idea for a while, and so I wrote that out, thinking the ENTIRE time it was to be shelved under fantasy/scifi. Nope. Not a bit. Didn't even occur to me it was Young Adult until last night. (To give you some perspective, remember that NaNo was in November.) Today, I asked a friend of mine (who is an awesome author in her own right! http://www.authorjennijames.com ) what defined YA. She told me it was nothing but the age of the characters. That's it? Just age? Wow. That definitely fits my manuscript! So now I'll have to research agents in that genre.. which really doesn't bother me one bit, since I'm still embarrassed to have committed the new writer blooper of all time and submitted my first ms before it was remotely ready for public consumption.
But onward and upward!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for YA! :D I'm a big fan of that and Maid so it sounds great to me!

    ReplyDelete