Monday, March 30, 2009

The Name Game, or Help Will's Mother.

Will Scarlett's mother needs a name. I know, she should have been named when I was writing my original draft, but I was in a serious time crunch (ever heard of National Novel Writing Month? No? Description of the craziness to follow.) Since I had to complete at least 50,000 words in a single month (November, no less!), I called her 'the older woman' or 'Will's mother'. But I can't do that endlessly. It worked for the short haul, but for the long road? The poor woman really deserves a name.

So, my loyal followers, here is your chance to chime in. What should I name her? My only restriction is that it has to fit the 1500's. And her first name CANNOT be 'Rose'. I mean, can you imagine? 'Rose Scarlett'? Yikes!

Okay, where was I? Oh, yeah. What is NaNo. NaNo takes place in the month of November, when thousands of crazy people decide they're going to attempt to write a novel (as I said, at least 50k words) while dealing with the stress of the holidays. I tried it for the very first time last year and it was AMAZING. I absolutely LOVED it. There's something extremely freeing about simply letting the words flow, and not worrying one iota about syntax or anything else. Editing is for January.. or, in my case, March, April and May. LOL! What do I get out of it? Besides the high of knowing I wrote a viable first draft in thirty days? I get a single proof-ready copy of my novel. Which I think is all that AND a bag of chips. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment